Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mavericks Game #1 and Tom Ziller

Just got back and there are about 3 minutes to go, not looking good for the Mavericks...and thats it.
Aaron Brooks can score.  Damn.  Looking at the box score, Carlise wasn't lying about running, the offense looks great, especially Dirk and Josh Howard.

About Tom Ziller, he is one of the smartest writers in basketball.  I have had debates with Laker fans (I go to UCLA) about whether Ron Artest represents fair value for Lamar Odom.  Their argument always centered around Lamar Odom not fitting in with the Lakers because he needs the ball.  However, if this is the contention of Laker fans, Ron Artest would fit even worse with the Lakers.  Odom needs the ball to be effective, but he does not demand it.  He recognizes that despite his talents on the ball, he is not Kobe Bryant.  Ron Artest is more effective when the offense does not run through him.  However, he demands the ball.  He does not recognize when his team is better served by him playing a secondary role on offense.  Tom Ziller of NBA FanHouse and Sactown Royalty (one of my favorite NBA blogs) spent an entire season pointing this out.  Despite the presence of Kevin Martin, one of the most efficient scorers in the league, Ron Artest repeatedly would operate outside the offense and act as the focal point.  Now, how does this relate to tonight?  With about three minutes to go in the 4th quarter, Ron Ron waved of Rafer Alston and isolated himself on the perimeter while Yao battled Erick Dampier for positioning.  Artest took a contested three.  It went in, the Rockets went nuts, and it was essentially the final nail in the coffin for the Mavs.  The fact that it went does not excuse Artests actions, however.  One of the main things that I have learned since I started following baseball more closely is the folly of results based analysis.  Let's say that I have a test and am given three potential essays to study for.  I choose to study for only one.  When I get the test, that essay is the one I am given.  Does that mean my method of studying is correct?  Ron Artest initiating the offense instead of Rafer Alston or T-Mac is not the most effective offense Houston can run.  The fact that he made that three does not prove otherwise.  I have gotten way off topic, and I feel like I am driving a point home that does not need to be, but I have heard defenses of Artest as a potential member of the Lakers far too many times, plus it was a chance for me to plug Tom Ziller, who is without a doubt one of my favorite writers in basketball.

Now, the real question: where was Gerald Green?

No comments: